Although she has the advantage of her family name her inspiration came from a piece of her great grand mothers jewelry. She found her passion to become a jewelry designer herself. This story is a perfect example of how a jewelry designer can find inspiration in an unexpected place and become a viable jewelry designer with a marketable line of jewelry designs. Finding a particular concept and running with it can be a challenge, look for a simple plentiful source of unique materials, gems, wood, leather or what ever the material the jewelry is created from. Ms. Vanderbilt may have had name recognition, but she had no experience in jewelry designing until she was inspired by her great grandmothers jewelry, look for your inspiration wherever you can find it do not limit where you look for and find design inspiration.
My jewelry designs way back when I started were inspired by such things as the textures and complex curves of the inside of sliced vegetables, and plants, I later went on to find ideas in insects and animals. I have also used engine parts and industrial equipment to base my designs on. I have even used design concepts from patterns in water when you add food coloring and freeze it without mixing it so it stays in bands of color.
Talk about a family inspiration! Consuelo Vanderbilt Costin is part of the Vanderbilt family dynasty and says after inheriting a ring from her great-grandmother, she knew she wanted to design jewelry. The line of affordable pearl and diamond fashion jewelry is currently available on http://www.hsn.com. Watch as Consuelo introduces us to her jewelry line and how each piece has a story behind it, just waiting to be told.
broach Family heritage
– Consuelo Vanderbilt Costin is a direct descendent of shipping and railroad tycoon Cornelius Vanderbilt, and cousin of Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt.
– Family heritage:
– Consuelo Vanderbilt Costin’s mother was Serena Vanderbilt Ingen McCallum,
– Consuelo Vanderbilt Costin’s grandmother Iris Ada Vanderbilt
– Consuelo Vanderbilt Costin’s great grandmother Consuelo Vanderbilt Earl
– Consuelo Vanderbilt Costin’s great-great grandfather William K. Vanderbilt II
– Consuelo Vanderbilt Costin’s great-great-great aunt Consuelo Vanderbilt (Duchess of Marlborough)
neck– “The Duchess” Choker was developed in homage to the Duchess of Marlborough, who wore a stunning multi-strand pearl choker to accentuate her legendary long neck; the envy of many society women during the early 19th century.
– The single strand pearl necklace that each Vanderbilt woman receives on her 18th birthday inspired ”The Coming of Age” Necklace, which comes with a matching Tennis Bracelet,. The exquisite “Five Generations” Pearl Ring and Necklace feature five pearls in a nod to the legendary women that inspired the process. READ MORE…